Obituary of the newspaper? News is not dying.





I went to see Page One: Inside the New York Times and I immediately wanted to see it again. It was interesting, enlightening, and funny. I loved firecracker reporter David Carr especially and Brian Stelter.

I went home and started following Brian on Twitter because I admired him and I liked how he said that every reporter should be on Twitter. I agree with him.  He made me realize how important Twitter really is and the importance of it in my future as a journalist. 

Page One tells us the main reasons why the newspaper industry isn’t doing very well. One being that people don’t actually buy the newspaper any more and two, because there isn’t a lot of advertising revenue.

A large part of people not buying newspapers is because of technology. Papers are too slow. Social media like Twitter is the first place to go. I follow many news organizations and people involved in the media, so when I hear about a big story, I usually heard about it first with Twitter. 

The movie mentioned Watergate and the role newspapers played back then in the scandal. But today, if someone wants the world to know something, they can just post it on YouTube; Julian Assange was given as an example. Assange didn't need the New York Times to get what he needed to say out.  

Print journalism may be looking a little grim right now but t is not dead altogether. I liked in the Page One, how they were saying how every other news outlet is getting their information form the Times, so there will always be a place for the New York Times. We live in a world where more and more people are getting their news from  free online news sources like Twitter, Facebook, and blogs, but they don’t realize where it originating from.

For some reason, and for as long as I can remember, I wanted to work in print journalism. There is something about it that I have always found appealing - seeing my name in print, talking to someone new all the time, going to different places, and I guess just the hustle and bustle of it all.

Watching Page One kind of deters me from wanting to work in print journalism though. But that doesn’t mean I won’t try. My Journalism instructor, Duncan McMonagle tells me that there are always jobs in journalism. And I hope that he is right. It's just  that newspapers are cutting back on employees and that when it comes time for me to get a job, the spots will all be taken.

But there will always be news to tell and I plan on telling it. People care about the news and always will. It was said in the movie that it is a very interesting time to be a current day journalist. But it is also a curse.

1 comments:

"There will always be news to tell and I plan on telling it."
Good for you and good for journalism.

 

Post a Comment