Numb to Crime

Shooting at my place. Click to read the (very vague) article.


The other morning I was woken up by the sound of very loud bangs. It was 5:30am and I remember sitting in by bed trying to figure out whether or not they were actually gunshots as it is not unusual to head loud bangs around my building.

There has been a lot of crime in Winnipeg over the past few weeks, months, and years. But I have always felt safe in Winnipeg and I haven’t had any real troubles to scare me.

But when I went to school Tuesday morning and found out that those loud bangs were in fact gunshots, I began to feel a little scared in my own home. I do feel a little comforted knowing that the shooting was targeted. But not comforted by the fact that a shooting happened in my building.

I read about stories like this all the time, but I Just shrug it off. I know that there is a lot of violence in Winnipeg, but there is everywhere. Then when it happened, I just shrugged it off, and get another hour of sleep before I had to get to my Journalism class.

So, maybe I am desensitized to crime.

Someone commented on the news story on the Free Press site that the incident is, “So common it is almost expected.” 

No one was shot in this incident, which is surprising to me considering how many shots there were fired. But there could have easily been. And whoever that man was could have been the 30th homicide victim in Winnipeg in 2011; this is compared to last years’ total of 22. 

No wonder why people refer to the city as Killerpeg.

If criminals keep this up, we will beat our deadliest year (2004) in which 34 people were killed.

I don’t know what a solution to this would be. Maybe stricter sentences for violent crimes? I know there are threats no matter what city you live in, but I just want to be able to sleep through the night so I can get up for Journalism class and not be a zombie.

What crossed my mind:

1) Harvey Sanderson Jr., the young man who was in a wheelchair that was murdered last month in his own apartment. I mentioned that when the shooting happened in my building, I was comforted by the fact I knew it was targeted. But the rising violence in Winnipeg is not just between gangs. Innocent people are being killed because of the out-of-control violence problem.

2) I have been getting people asking me if I am going to move. No, I will not move. This area is very pretty, and I still feel safe here.

3) How did he not get shot?

4) Is this guy still living here? Residents were provided no details on the incident. I think my landlord should have let us know what happened, which floor it was on, if this guy has been charged with anything, and if he is being allowed to stay in the building.

5) My landlady is such a space cadet; she probably doesn’t even know anything even happened. 

2 comments:

Probably just a typo: 34 ppl were homicide victims in 2004.

 

Post a Comment