Check Out My Pie

   When my gran came to see Mamma Mia with me (as you will know from reading my previous blog post) she gave me a whole whack apples that she picked from her tree. 
   I have made one pie people and that was a blueberry pie. I mistakingly bought a very large package of blueberries but didn't even come close to eating them all. So I made a pie. 
   Never before have I attempted to make an apple pie before. I told people at school that I was going to make one so I couldn't just forget that I had ever said it and pretend there were no pie making plans when one of them brought it up. I am not that kind of person. 

   Five things that crossed my mind as I was making an apple pie. 

1) Is that too much cinnamon? I think that it too much cinnamon. It smells very cinnamony. Should I add more of something else to counter the overuse of cinnamon?
2) I hope this pie turns out. I promised my friend Emily a slice. If I don't show up with pie, she'll think I am a liar and never want to sit next to me in journalism ever again. 
3) (looks in oven) Is that the way it's supposed to look? Oh great, part of the top split open. I am a pie making failure. Will a man ever want me now? A woman who cannot bake a decent pie?
4) There is definitely too much cinnamon in here. 
5) (takes it out of oven) Hey, this isn't such a bad pie after all. Perhaps I am not destined to be a lonely spinster. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

So if you want these thoughts running through your mind, make a pie!

Laura's Self-Proclaimed Best Ever Apple Pie
   *Instead of spending an hour on making the dough for the crust I took the easy road and bought pie dough. I used Pillsbury. Read the directions on the box. 

Filling: 
7-8 apples
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 tbsp cornstarch
1 tsp cinnamon
pinch of ground nutmeg
pinch of salt
2 tbsp butter, softened

Directions:
In a large bowl, combine sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
Peel and core apples; cut into slices. Add slices to sugar mixture, tossing to coat.
On lightly floured surface, roll half of the dough to pit your pie plate. If you need to, trim edges leaving some overhang. Fold under extra and flute edges. 
Put filling into pie shell and dot with butter.
Roll out remaining pastry. Whisk egg yolk with 1 tbsp water; brush over pastry rim. Fit pastry over filling; trim if needed and leave some overhang. Fold overhang under bottom pastry rim; seal and flute edge. Brush egg mixture over pastry. Cut steam vents in top; sprinkle with coarse sugar. 
Bake at 350°F for 65 minutes or until bottom is deep golden and filling is bubbling and thickened. 
Let cool on rack. 

Share with friends! 


2 comments:

LMAO! You're too funny! I didn't get a slice! lol

 

Post a Comment