I need it, I just don't know why. Apple Peer Pressure

Up until yesterday, I was Appleless. I know what you are thinking, but people like me actually do exist. This may shock you but I have never owned an iPad, iPod, iPhone, iMac or any other Apple device. 

Well, that was until yesterday when my Apple cherry was popped.


I was always content with the technology that I had, an MP3 player, a PC and a Moterola. How could I be so naïve?  

A Blackberry Storm is what I bought for school because MTS doesn't carry the iPhone. Now that I have come to school in the Creative Communications program at Red River College, I can clearly see how much I stand out and how much I am actually in need of one.  It is a wonder that I am surviving without one. I can't even begin to fathom what students did in the dark days when there were no SmartPhones or iPads to bring to class. 

Against Apple because of the price and how consumerist the company, I broke down and bought an Apple computer for my home in which to do school work on. But that's not all. For spending ridiculous amounts of money on a computer I received a "free" iPod Touch. What a deal . . . spend $1600 you don't have because you're a starving student and get an iPod. Ya!! I still did have to pay the taxes on my iPod Touch. 

 I do not know how to use my Apple computer well at all. I have no idea how my iPod works although I do know that I am supposed to put songs on it. What I do not know is how to get the songs so I may out them on my iPod that I needed so badly. I justified my purchase of the iMac by telling myself, friends and family that I am getting a free iPod. 

I cannot say that I would have ever bought an Apple computer or an iPod had I not been overcome by an intense desire to get Apple products. When I started attending Red River I began to see all the iPhones, which is now a requirement for CreComm student (or an equivalent to an iPhone). Every second student has an iPhone, all second year Advertising majors get an iPad and a lot of people come to class with their MacBook Pros. In comparison to an iPhone my Blackberry Storm look like one of those with the loud buttons and the long antenna that pulls out. 


Apple is a bully. I think that it is sad that I even feel that I need this technology. I don't want them because I think they are the best, even though they may be, I want them because they are what everyone else has and what I feel I need to succeed in the profession I am pursuing. I have it on good authority that businesses have survived without a MacBook Pro or an iPhone. At least I think they did.  I may be a sell out, but when people see my computer and iPod, they will be envious and it'll be all worth it. 

2 comments:

I always get slammed for loving Apple; of course, Apple isn't the perfect company by any stretch. However, very few of us could have foreseen how mobile devices and apps would take over our lives...but Apple predicted it.

For that and that alone, I give Apple and Steve Jobs credit!

 

The whole Apple-taking-over-the-world thing crept up on me -- I hardly noticed because I've always been Apple at home (since, like, 1985), and somehow about 60% of offices I've worked in have been "Mac environments." Of course, it's not really about the devices at all, it's about gaining a monopoly on media distribution via iTunes. Enjoy the slavery!

 

Post a Comment