Election night



On October 4th, I was assigned to Global Television to help out with election coverage. I was put with Nelly Gonzalez, a Global reporter, and we went to Canad Inns Polo Park, which was the PC Party’s election headquarters. I kind of knew what to expect since I have been out with a reporter before on a live hit as part of election coverage, so I knew the big interviews would come after the winner was announced.

I have been telling friends and family that I was at PC headquarters, and one thing is always brought up.

That Selinger snubbed McFadyen during his speech.

If you don’t follow the news or politics, this is what happened. When PC Party leader, Hugh McFadyen came down from his hotel room to give his concession speech, Premier Greg Selinger began his victory speech, resulting in Hugh’s to be cut off.

While I was at the PC HQ, I got to see all the support for Hugh McFadyen, but all that support wasn’t good enough as it became official that Hugh would not be the next Premier of Manitoba.

The media waited over an hour for McFadyen to come down and address us. We waited, then we waited, and then we waited some more.

FINALLY, Hugh McFadyen came down and announced that he was stepping down at PC Party leader. The announcement seemed to shock the people in the room and unless you were there or watched the footage elsewhere, you wouldn’t have seen the announcement. If you were watching the coverage on TV, you would have seen the beginning of Hugh’s speech, then seen it be cut off for Selinger’s speech.

I was not at the NDP headquarters, but I don't think Greg did this to Hugh to be malicious. But I was at the PC one, and I just wanna say that every TV and radio station there, was given the “five-minute warning” numerous times. McFadyen continued to be a no show time after time, and I really do not blame Selinger for deciding to come on camera when he did. I realize that McFadyen probably took a long time to make his decision to step down, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do. 

Despite all the waiting around a reporter and their crew has to do, and despite the stress of coming up with what to say and who to interview for each live hit, I think it would be an exciting career that I would like to try. And I would get to see things that so many other people wouldn't. Like Hugh's speech. Or when after Hugh gave his speech, the whole room sang happy birthday to his son. Now, if only I could speak in front of a camera. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment