What a Broken Ankle Means in CreComm

I would not recommend breaking your ankle in CreComm. Just don’t do it, it isn’t wise.

A broken ankle in CreComm means that I have to get up earlier in the mornings just so I will be able to catch my bus (if I miss the first one, I can forget about the transfer). It means that when I want to leave my apartment I have to really want to leave. I have to plan if the buses are easy access, how much walking there will be and how many stairs. It means missing some classes. It means trying not to fall behind. My busted ankle has been a slight inconvenience to say the least.

What has been the hardest about having a broken ankle in CreComm?

1)     People pretending they will kick the crutches away. Real cute you guys. You don’t know the amount of energy it takes to not hit you with my crutches.
2)     People asking “How much longer?”
3)     “Ooh, you broke your ankle? What happened?” Yes I broke my ankle, I am sick of explaining. Don’t ask me.
4)     Getting used to the crutches and having to sweat when going from one class to another.
5)     Not being able to carry things. All I want is a cup of tea in the living room. I can’t just hop with the tea and unless someone is with me I am drinking tea in the kitchen by myself on my leanin’ chair.
6)     People tripping over my crutches and having them knocked down. This happens daily. One would think classmates would be used to them by now.


What has been crossing my mind as I live a CreComm life on crutches:

1)     One of the first things that crossed my mind when I first broke my ankle was ‘how the heck am I going to do a streeter?’ There goes my Spiderman sticker.
2)     I may be sounding bitter but I just want to be able to walk again so I don’t have guys taking my crutches and pretending that they are guns.
3)     My arms will be jacked after this. How about an arm-wrestle now Mike?
4)     There goes my tap dancing career.
5)     How am I going to carry this camera equipment.
6)     I have some pretty good friends in my class that help me lots. Ie: filling water bottles, carrying coffee, opening doors, and putting up with how slow I am.
7)     You were late because of the weather or you missed your bus? I made it here on time, I am sure you could have too.
8)     When my ankle gets better, I am still taking the elevator.

But having a broken ankle in CreComm is hardly the end of the world as I first thought and it is completely doable. In the first term anyhow. I am not confident how well I would fare in the second term all busted up. Let’s hope that this doesn’t happen again. 

1 comments:

I totally should have read this before breaking my ankle.

Granted, I'm in my last term, and had opted out of any courses requiring streeters or camera equipment...but the doctors can smell my fear of surgery and metal plates and have told me to be still or else. So I'll probably be missing a week of classes.

 

Post a Comment