Laura Kunzelman With the Projecta!




I said black coffee!!
Get me the Free Press.
I need five story ideas on my desk from everyone by the end of the day. Make that by the end of the hour.

For a few weeks now I have been playing news editor at the Projector as the real editors are away on their work placements. This very important job entails coming up with story ideas, assigning them, and editing them once they are submitted. Editing these pieces is the easy part, coming up with stories that relate to RRC is the challenging part, and don’t even get me started on getting students to write the damn things.

Now that I am a big time news editor, I can get away with a few more things. Things like, yelling and bossing around friends, family, babies, bus drivers, and total strangers.

What crossed my mind my first few weeks as news editor:

1) Now that I somehow secured the position, I am drawing a blank on story ideas.
2) I will get my friends to help me think of story ideas.
3) My friends have terrible ideas. Plan B.
4) I don’t think I have a Plan B.
5) I do have a Plan B, but maybe I should really have one that doesn’t include a bottle of wine.
6) How did I ever get all of the articles submitted?
7) How much longer can I fool everyone in thinking that I can be an editor?
8) It can only get better from here right? It was my first issue and it is bound to.
9) Always have a Plan B. With or without wine. Preferably with.

As much as I joke, I legitimately enjoy being an intern news editor and I have hopes of being an actual news editor at the Projector in my second year.

So go pick up a copy.
Do it.
Or I will find you.
And make you write for the Projecta.

3 comments:

I'm happy to help you out with some ideas Laura, how about an article about the water main break on Tuesday. It sure made me think: What up with that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3giSeLdjKJY&feature=related

 

I love the What's Up With That sketches. They always make me chuckle.
I have thought about that story. Looking to assign it. Know anyone interested?

 

Laura: Were you the one that sighted a scruffy dog in Stonewall? If so, do you remember the road # and any idea what kind of dog it was....Please go to Winnipeg Lost Dog Alert to post any info that may help us find this one....Thank you.

 

Post a Comment