I am all that is agriculture


Well, I just spent the last three weeks on work placement at Farm Business Communications (FBC) writn’ up a storm about various farm related topics.
On my first day I met with my editor John Morriss and he asked me what aspect of agriculture I am interested in. I told him that since I grew up on a cattle farm, I would be interested in writing some pieces on beef. So that’s what I did. Besides that, I got some pieces published about canola, insects, and the weather. All topics that Manitoban farmers would care about.
I traveled a bit for my work placement, to St. Jean for their Farm Days and to Brandon for Ag Days. It was nice to have so much trust put in me, that I would just be sent to these places, understand what the seminars were about, and be able to write an article good enough to be published.
During my time writing for the Co-Operator, I came to the realization, that I might like to work  as an agriculture reporter. It pays well, I am interested in the subject matter, and everyone is so darn nice.
The hardest thing about writing about agriculture was getting the farmers to talk to me. I learned that they are very bashful and do not like to give their names. That was the biggest challenge.
The most rewarding part of my work placement was having my articles published in a publication that I grew up around, and having my family read my articles and tell me that they are proud of me. I have had work published elsewhere, but I guess you don’t impress the farmers unless it is the Co-Operator. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment